Monday, June 1, 2015

How To Up-cycle An Old Tee Into A Stylish New Scarf.


I saw this on Pinterest originally by icreativeideas.com and like some pins I was skeptical of the result. But I really enjoyed the way my up-cycled scarf turned out. I can't wait to wear it. I also made my son one out of a tan shirt. Better yet, it's a no-sew project. YAY!

Here's what you will need to make your scarf:

an old tee
scissors
a ruler or straight edge (I just eyeballed it.)

First, cut your tee straight off just under the arm sleeves. Then cut even strips vertically for fringes where your made your first cut. (Anna has step-by-step pictures on her website Plan B.) Then take each strip and stretch to make it longer. Join fringes together by twos and knot. Make sure you are knotting side-by-side and not front-to-back. I goofed on mine the first time (mostly because I was wrangling a wild toddler & tying at the same time) and tied the front to the back. Oooops! But at least it was a simple fix and I got it right the second time around lol. Anna takes it a step farther in her tutorial and adds another row of knots. But I stopped with one knotted row because I preferred a simpler design.

 
When I showed my finished product off to my hubby, he had thought that I had purchased it from a store. And it's a great way to repurpose those sentimental clothing items that are ripped or too worn out in places to wear anymore. It would also be a fun, stylish craft for tweens or teens.
 
 
I hope you enjoy your new up-cycled scarf as much as I do mine!


No comments:

Post a Comment