|Black Bear with Cubs by Amy Turberville|
Spring is just around the corner! Time to head outdoors and enjoy nature with your little ones. When you do be sure to follow these simple rules to keep everyone safe and happy.
- Always tell someone where you are going and when you will return.
- Be prepared for sudden weather changes. Always pack extra clothes, jackets, rain gear, boots, and a hat for your child, as well as yourself. Pack sunscreen and bear and bug spray as needed. And always pack a first aid kit.
- Wear bells on your backpack or put bells on your dog's collar to scare away bears and other predators. Never approach a wild animal, especially a mother with babies!
- Be mindful of the terrain. Know your child's physical limitations.
- Pack snacks and plenty of water. But beware! If you are outdoors in bear country be sure to use bear-proof containers and do not leave any food scraps down.
- Take plenty of breaks so your little one can rest!
- Never start a campfire in an unapproved area or leave one unattended.
- Be aware of all water hazards. Pack a life preserver if you plan on being in proximity to them.